Friday, July 12, 2013

Love, Star Girl

Title: Love, Star Girl
Author(s): Jerri Spinelli
Genre: YA
Release Date: August 14, 2007
Publisher: Kpnof Books
My Rating: 3 Stars


LOVE, STARGIRL picks up a year after Stargirl ends and reveals the new life of the beloved character who moved away so suddenly at the end ofStargirl. The novel takes the form of "the world's longest letter," in diary form, going from date to date through a little more than a year's time. In her writing, Stargirl mixes memories of her bittersweet time in Mica, Arizona, with involvements with new people in her life.

In Love, Stargirl, we hear the voice of Stargirl herself as she reflects on time, life, Leo, and - of course - love.

My Thoughts: Why!!!!!! That is all I have to say. I was so excited to hear from Star Girl herself, and yet everything I loved about the first novel was ruined. This book just killed everything I loved about the first novel. Everything I thought was wrong, and I just didn't like this one that much. What did save this book was the new characters, I don't think I disliked any of them. What I disliked was this constant longing for Leo. Granted this book takes the shape of the longest letter ever written to him.... but come on! This was a disappointing book, not terribly written, but disappointing in the sense that I no longer hold Star Girl to the same level of favorite girls in literature that I once did.

No comments:

Post a Comment